Working in Cairo, Egypt as a 5th grade teacher at Hayah International Academy. Ready to explore my new city, learn the ways of the M.E. culture and travel my pants off.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Day 1

And it has begun, after the "longest summer break of my life" (thank you CC) we are officially back as educators.  My class is filled with energetic and extremely vocal 5th graders.  


I was excited and nervous to begin the new year and my first day proved to be just that.  I was immersed in more cultural experiences than I have had since I arrived in Cairo.  Many of which added a unique challenge to our day.


Just like the beginning of every new school year, I love to play the alliteration name game.  This game involves everyone in class while supports my name recognition progress.  As we began the game today, I reminded students to have an idea of what they would like to call themselves when it was their turn.  Then we came to a very long string of "H".. Habiba (1), Habibia (2), Hara, Hana, Haidi, Haya and Hend.  Now, as first language english speakers it might not be too difficult to think of seven describing words that begin with an "H", however, we were not as fortunate.  Who would have thought I'd have seven student's with the name of "H".  Back in the States, I cannot recall more than three common-day names that begin with the letter H, let alone seven in one classroom...  But in the end we now have a few "Happy Habibia's", "Honest Hana" and "Hungry Haya".


Hayah International Academy is an American based school so roughly 90% of the employees speak English very well.  Traditionally, the ones who do not speak English are the "matrons" as well as the Arabic and Quraan teachers.  This is fine until you must speak with one of them about a student's needs or a task that must be completed.  In the first day I have already learned a very important lesson and I think this problem can be solved in one of two ways: first choice, use a fellow student to translate the pertinent information to identified party OR second (and probably most preferred) choice is to provide a nice breakfast treat (post Ramadan) to share with said party.  This is guaranteed to clear up all confusions..


The event that had the greatest impact on me was during the students time for prayer, which happens after lunch.  Students are directed towards the bathroom's where they are to preform "Wudu" or the Islamic act of cleaning the body.  Muslims are required to clean their face, arms, elbows, hands and head in preparation of ritual prayers.  The boys and girls are separated onto different mats on different sides of the hall for prayer.  Our girls are also required to wear a veil that covers their entire body except their face.  To begin the midday prayer, the students line up in rows, facing Mecca.  The Quraan teacher leads them in their traditional prayer and for 10 minutes they are silent except for the words of the prayer.  It was the quietest I heard my students all day.  I remember having chills as I watched the students in unison, rise up to their feet, bend over, then down to their knees, placing their forehead to the floor, and finally back to their knees and up again.  I think for me it is one thing to witness adults showing strength in their faith but it is another to see such devotion from someone so small.  It was something I had never experienced before and I will cherish that first observable moment.


To end the day, my class and myself almost missed the bus ride home.  The final bell rang at 3:30, however I was unsure of the exact time to dismiss the students from my room.  I thought I would wait with them in a line inside my door while watching for other classes to walk by the room, giving me the cue to dismiss.  But when twelve minutes pass and no one had walked by, I realized there was a problem.  Suddenly, the Principal, Miss Margaret came rushing down my hallway... and yes, we were late.  Every student and teacher K-12 had already loaded the buses.  I was bummed because we didn't get to part the way I wanted on the first day, but I suppose things were good because they made it back home.  I remember my former administrator, Mr. Palmer saying the most important thing to accomplish on the first day is to get the students to school, get them fed and then get them home safely.  If you can do all three it was a good day... (woops?!)



2 comments:

  1. This is an awesome post! It's good to hear the first day went well, and I'm jealous you're experiencing so much. Keep posting so I can live vicariously through your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sooo glad I don't have to deal with the prayer stuff in school. I've never even heard it mentioned. Guess it's part of Casablanca being more 'liberal' maybe? My girls wear anything BUT traditional muslim clothing. :) Sounds like yours are as vocal and social as mine are. Will be interesting to compare notes during the year.

    ReplyDelete