Working in Cairo, Egypt as a 5th grade teacher at Hayah International Academy. Ready to explore my new city, learn the ways of the M.E. culture and travel my pants off.

Friday, August 27, 2010

Fino's Bakery

After work a few days ago, I walked into Fino's bakery just a few blocks from my house.  I was looking for the delicious Italian pastry pizza (as I had skipped lunch because the rest of the staff has been fasting for Ramadan making it nearly impossible to find a sandwich or cola light on campus).  

It is always the same two very nice Egyptian ladies working the front.  I know they are Egyptian because they are wearing a pink polo shirt and pants (similar outfit you might see an employee at Panera Bread wearing), however they wear the tight long sleeved, mock turtle neck shirt covering every inch of their torso, arms, neck and a short hijab under their ball cap.  

As I was waiting for my order I got to chatting with a man, Tony, sitting at the small section of tables.  Tony turned out to be the owner of this and several other bakeries around Cairo.  First thing he asks is if I was from Chicago or Minnesota, explaining he could tell I was a Midwesterner by the "bubbliness” coming from me and, of course the hair.  Tony had lived in NYC for 20 years and opened a few restaurants and nightclubs; he seemed very western in his thoughts and ideas.  I got the impression he might know EVERYONE and EVERYTHING in Cairo so I made sure to secure this friendship.

I shared with Tony the trouble we’ve been having in obtaining a bank account over here and how worried I was traveling back to the States with a large wad of cash.  He immediately picked up the mobile and started shouting in Arabic.  He asked me a few more questions and continued his convo with his banker.  When he hung up he assured me that we could have a bank account by the end of the week.. Inshalla.

Our interaction quickly turned to a Grandfatherly-like conversation; as he was worried about how we were being safe in Cairo, watching out for certain things and people.  He reminded me how wonderful a country Egypt really is- the friendly people with the extremely inexpensive and culturally unique places to eat, party, travel and learn- But, as both a US and Egyptian citizen, he understands how messed up things can be around here and offered his help in my transition in anyway that he could.  Then he gave me a free pastry for breakfast and I gave my goodbyes. 

Later, I thought about how quickly that conversation progress and how helpful and thoughtful Tony seemed to be.  I am not used to others being so inquisitive so quickly but I am getting the impression that if an Egyptian believes you’re a friend they’ll go pretty far for you (even shout Arabic obscenities at their banker).  I hope I am lucky enough to find many friendly and welcoming Egyptians like that one along the way.

4 comments:

  1. Great story. We are finding similar things here too, that people have big hearts and want to help (when we can get past the language barrier). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh Arabic obscenities. I miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. shouldn't your employer or the American embassy be able to help you out with info on a bank. Not something I'd trust to the local baker, even if he did spend time in NY (or maybe because he spent time in NY). I'M enjoying your pictures and stories, keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren. I think you need to be keeping track of all this manuscript form. You have the makings of great book, my friend. I am so happy for you and so so proud of you. I now miss you more than ever.

    Keep writing.

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete