Working in Cairo, Egypt as a 5th grade teacher at Hayah International Academy. Ready to explore my new city, learn the ways of the M.E. culture and travel my pants off.

Friday, August 20, 2010

In the beginning..

Made it!... in style.  The last leg of my trip was upgraded to business class and I of course accepted with a smile.  
Germ-Germ to Egypt went something like this: Sparkling white wine with OJ, glass of sparkling water, German appetizer, another glass of white wine, four course meal served on their momma's best china and some red Portuguese wine to wash it all down. All the while I owned a massive amount of leg room and a lazy boy to fall asleep in.
When I arrived in Egypt, a very large (as in could pick up my 77 pounder over his head with one hand) and friendly man named, Mustfasa picked me up in a bright orange van with a beautiful decor of multi-colored tassels around the windows.  This man’s English topped at about 35 words, but you know I made that 40 minute car ride convo an interesting one.  We sang a lil Madonna together and by the end of the ride he called me "amigo" and we parted with an Egyptian high-five.
My apartment is beautiful with Middle Eastern furniture, glass tiling, large bedrooms and tall ceilings.  The balcony is right off my dining room and has room to seat at least four at a table.  However, there are still many improvements and soft touches to be made.  These things will come with time and a paycheck.
Went on an walk with my superintendent today, checked out both American Clubs and joined some kittens for a cola light... I'm sorry Dad, they were pretty cute.  However, not wanting to bring their parasites back to my apartment with me, I refrained from petting any of them.

Hayah’s orientation begins on Sunday... let the good times role.



No comments:

Post a Comment